Welcome To Harmonic Distortions

Welcome, all, to Harmonic Distortions!  I hope this new venture will lead to much discussion, dissection, passionate expression and expansion of mind.  It seems only fitting that for this, the first of (hopefully) many posts here, I explain the factors leading up to the creation of this site.

For as long as I can remember, I've resisted the temptation to create a weblog for fear of spiraling downward into mindless self-indulgence and heedless ranting.  As time moves forward, however, I find that there are many subjects toward which my opinion is strong, enough that some avenue of expression for them seems necessary.  So, this begs the question, what is Harmonic Distortions about?  It is my opinion that the majority of culture/religion/art blogs are either childish drivel or partisan steamrolling.  We, as a people, need as many voices as possible speaking out against prejudice, fundamentalism, hatred, bigotry, indifference and all the like, but it accomplishes nothing to be a virulent prophet.  There is, in my observance, an enormous lack of reasonable, rational people distilling the events of our world and, more importantly, extracting meaning and conclusions from them that benefit rather than polarize.  Incredibly often we find ourselves so solidified in our opinions and viewpoints that our basest humanity is lost in a torrent of ideology, tradition, byzantine beliefs and an intense desire to be right at any cost.

So I intend, like fellow voices you can see on the right, to be an alchemist, taking in that which I am passionate about, which may seem disparate and unrelated on the surface, and crafting it into something much more than the sum of its parts.  I do not expect to have a concrete theme beyond this, though I imagine there will be an abundance of a few select topics.  I hope to be a wellspring of information, perspective and free thought, and intend to draw connections that may otherwise go unnoticed by cursory glances.  As the very name of this site suggests, things that appear to be undesirable often have much greater purpose beneath their stigma.  If I can aid even one person in expanding their mindset beyond a rigid structure of unmovable conclusions, I will count this endeavor wholly successful.

Please enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment